TABS

Tuesday, August 30, 2016

The Errors of My Ways~ Series Part 1: A Genealogy Do-Over File_Naming


I was looking for a file the other day only to find myself feeling frustrated, because I couldn't find it!  This made me really think and re-examine my naming system I had going.  Then it hit me... I  really needed to just sit on my hands and really set aside ALL researching -others genealogy, web-browsing, etc (business is exempt).

I have decided to go back to square one and begin the task of renaming my files on my laptop the way it should be.  I am using a naming filing system as it was suggested by Christine Sisko Svircev, who is also a member in Thomas McEntee's Facebook group called Genealogy Do-Over Facebook group.  Back in May I was asking for suggestions on how to do the name a file on the computer.  I had gotten several good suggestions, however Christine's system seemed easy enough to remember.  I had put my naming task on the back burner for almost 3 months now.  Mainly life got in the way, and I had family come in from California. So.. after I had a hard time finding the file, I begin to put several folders in a group, then sorted the folders into 3 categories;

CAT 1 are files that were already named, but just needed to put them in the right ordered or add a few information that was missing.  My parents each have a folder.  Right now I am working on my dad's folder, because I have done about 28+ yrs worth of research.  On my mom's family, I haven't done much research and once I get everything in order it won't take me that long to do.  My dad's side of the family is a huge file.

My old way was like this: DOC_SMITH_John_BC_1925_Texas

Now the New Way is:

SURNAME_Name_Name of Document_Date of Birth_County_City/Town_State_Where I got the information

Example for Birth:

SMITH_John_BirthCertificate_01_JAN_1925_Dallas_Dallas_Texas_Ancestry

Example for Census:

SMITH_John_1940_UnitedStatesFederalCensus_OL_Image_235_Dallas_BalchSprings_Texas_FamilySearch

(OL = Online)
I will work this Folder Until all documents are correctly named and then onto CAT 2.


CAT 2  are files that were label need to research (not sure why, but I think it was because I needed to do source citation for them?) I will be labeling them as to what they are, and create a doc or spreadsheet for the sources (more on this later).


CAT 3 are files that need to be sorted out (separated from dad's or mom's family line)

This will probably take me all of September to do, so I will say I am getting a head start on this <smiles>
The lesson of the error of my ways? I have learn that I must be consistence in the naming file system and do not take the easy way out because it leaves me working harder not smarter AND this leaves me exhausted <smh>



4 comments:

  1. I got carried away with discoveries and downloading just about every online image I came across.So my image program is pretty over populated and in need of a file system. I am more inclined to just put Ancestry or FMP or whatever plus reference numbers than go through the citation/sources task.I'm not trying to produce a professional genealogy document and have to worry too much about getting the source/citation correct;that can take all the joy out of the HOBBY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I hear you... I, too got so hung up on source citations... my problem is I am second guessing myself... am I doing this right or did I forget to use the correct punctuations... but after listening to Genealogy Gems Podcast, reading other blogs or watching DearMyrtle's I am learning to let that part go and just get the information down.. What it is , where I got it, where the source got it and who it was for and when it was accessed... I also use Thomas McEntee's guidelines.

      Delete
  2. You have to start somewhere! I'm still just moving things on my computer into basic folders by family. Now I'm TRYING to name them consistently these days, but first, sort and dump into files. It could be take the rest of 2016 before I can take another step.

    ReplyDelete