TABS

Saturday, October 10, 2015

Time Management; Where did the time go?

Learning time management is hard especially when you are on the hunt and coming close to finding that one piece of the puzzle that will break open many doors!  We all have been there at one time or another. I know I am no exception to the rule... I am so guilty, guilty guilty when it comes to managing my time during research, especially if I have nothing else pressing me at the moment.
Since hitting the Do-Over button, I have been thinking about Time Management in a way that will work for me.  I came up with a semi- solution (it is still in its infancy stage to call it a working status)
:
Before anything set your timer! (set to 1 hr) Before I press the "Start" button, I want to make sure (not necessary in this order).

1. The animals are taken care of (outside business).


2. Make sure the house is cleaned and the office is organized and everything I need is in front of me: 

        a) Index Cards (this is my note pad)
        b) Pens/Pencils/Erasers/thumb drive
        c) OneNote (for my ToolBox ) <---- This is where I hold all my "stuff" for researching; anything from Tips to Citing my sources template, as well as  the place I put all my go to sites. 
        d) Any essentials  that I will need to get this research underway without any interruptions.

 3.  I must make sure for the first hour of research that I will not be adding any unnecessary collections  to my pc (I am bad about this... hmmm this gave me an idea for another post) to prevent duplication, I will make sure I have a list handy to compare it with the "new" findings.


4.   I will need to make sure that I have my mind clear and focus on the task I have set forth for the day.  I plan on doing this on a daily basis so that it becomes the first thing I do above all and that my mind isn't all over the place even if I am not researching.  This is my biggest time cruncher.

  
5. The last thing but not least, I am sure the list will continually grow as I do as time goes on, is that once the timer is set... Don't rush into a race against myself.  Michael Altshuler said it better than I could....

 In terms of genealogy, I am the pilot.  I believe I can get a lot done, if I can just learn my own weakness in loss of time and productiveness in my own research.  When I am working the case for other people, I  emerge myself in my research and get it done right and in a timely manner, but when I am researching my own family, I tend to repeat, repeat and repeat in a cat chasing its own tail episode and I fall into a lot of pitfalls of the do not's .  I am planning on changing that as we speak (or read.. smiles).  I am on a time management mission... Time to hit the Start button and happy hunting!


Renee ~~ 

No comments:

Post a Comment