TABS

Thursday, June 18, 2015

A lot of Paper Files!

Oh boy! I never realized how much paper I have accumulated until I began to unpack my Genealogy Box added to the files I had "brought" with me on my journey to Oklahoma from California.  

I certainly have my work cut out for me as I continue to "organize" my paper files. Once I have it all organize, then the next step is to digitize them. 

Here I am in mid-June and barely half way in.  Not bad. I am still in the process of learning how to create database in Access 2013.  Don't ask how this is going =) but I will say this... it is a lot harder to learn than Excel if that will give you any inkling as to how it is going.


So far I have:
  • Got rid of duplicate files on my laptop and re-named the ones that needed them. Upload my file folder to my OneDrive. 
  • Watch countless youtube videos on how to create a database in Access 2013. Found one that seems to be easy enough to follow. I watched one that was 5 hours long, but only got to the 3 hr and decided whoa! All I wanted to know was how to connect the files based on my system, so I can understand it. There were moments I could see how it would work in my system, and then other things got clouded and I was lost again. So, I searched for another video. The one I chose next really helped me, but now I just got to figure out how to tweak it to suit my genealogy needs.
  • Began to go through each paper file I have and sort through the notes, charts, maps, etc.
Next on the agenda besides digitize the paper file:

  •   Hopefully I will have my database in working status so I can begin to enter the data I need.
  • Once that is done comb through my paternal maternal line and see what else I have missed or don't have. I will blogging about my great grandmother Clara- my dad's grandma at a later date. She was quite the character! I love and miss her so much.
I am involved in a Facebook group called Genealogy Do Over: Which is why I am re-doing everything... With a specific goal in mind and it involves my great grandma Clara.




No comments:

Post a Comment